Thursday, February 08, 2007

Misdemeanor Murder


http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-7/1170920125129720.xml&coll=1

That’s pretty much what it seems like right now, Misdemeanor Murder. Yep, fits right in with crimes like public intoxication, disturbing the peace, and interfering with a police investigation. But at least they can issue bench warrants for those crimes if you don’t pay the fine, with murder the odds are in your favorite for receiving a free pass.

This is crazy. According to this graphic from the Times-Picayune (not always the most accurate newspaper to be fair, but I assume this has to be at least somewhat legit), 162 people were killed in my current city of residence last year. I’m not worried about the 2 trials and 1 conviction right now, I’m sure some murder cases take a while to make trial. But only 47 arrests, that’s just stupid. Is it the police force, the DA’s office, the mayor, FEMA, I need someone to blame. So if my logic is right....if you want to kill someone in New Orleans you better watch your back, not for the police, but for somebody to roll up on you and “clear you by exception”.

I live in a pretty safe area and also understand that murders are highly correlated to certain illicit activities and behavioral patterns, so it’s not on my mind every second of the day. But I’m not gonna lie, I check to make sure my car doors are locked and always glace over my shoulder when getting out. Just to be safe, you know.

Along the same lines I don’t even know what to say about this.

1 comment:

Brian Mims said...

I just read the the good old advocate today, and the headliners were about. . . Murder, Scam Artists, Murder, Debt, FEMA/Eviction . . . and I'm thinking to myself, is that what I'm coming home to?

B M