Sunday, August 28, 2005

Hurricane Katrina

Right now it’s about 4 pm on Sunday in Baton Rouge. The weather is sunny, hot, and extremely humid; pretty much your normal August afternoon in the South. Except today there is a monster storm out in the Gulf of Mexico. Hurricane Katrina, she looks like a bad mamma jamma. In fact on TV and radio I heard words like catastrophic and devastating. While I will admit the storm is awe-inspiring, this one is one of the few I would ever use the word “scary” to describe it.

I’ve been thru a number of storms living in South Louisiana, Hurricane Andrew about 13 or 14 years ago was probably the worst storm I’ve experienced. Thankfully we didn’t suffer much property damage other than our backyard fence getting blown away but we were out of power for 5 days. I’m hoping if/when we lose power it won’t take as long to fix it. I also hope New Orleans comes out ok; it could be pretty nasty there next week. And work (I work for a telecommunications company) will be pretty much hell on earth too. I don’t know if I will be back Tuesday or later, but I’m not looking forward to it. But all you can do is pray the damage is minimal. Of course, I can’t lose of track of the one really important thing, hoping that Tiger Stadium is ok for next Saturday, people here can tolerate a big storm, but if LSU can’t start their season on Saturday, you know it will get hot here quick :).

I hope to take some pictures, should be an interesting few days. Gonna try and get in some tennis this afternoon if the rain holds out. Oh if anyone emails or calls me give me a few days to get back at ya.

No comments: