Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Letting It Out

I will preface this post by saying I truly have nothing to complain about compared to many of my South Louisiana brethren without shelter, food, employment, or loved ones. But I must say this storm has profoundly affected my life. I normally don’t write all personal like this, it makes me feel too self-conscious. But here I go, just me, no humor (not that there ever is much anyway):

- I’ve felt like breaking down and crying a number of times the past week, I’ve been feeling overwhelmed, I feel for those displaced and I love the city of New Orleans, at times it feels like I’ve lost a family member…
- I had to stop watching most of the news stories about New Orleans. I still keep up in the paper and online, but the images started to affect me too much…
- Volunteering at an evacuee shelter is a great idea and very appreciated by those in need, on other hand it is a gut-wrenching scene that stays with you……
- On the same note its weird watching people who have been culturally sheltered deal with trying to help those who are in need, but at least they try…
- With the BR population exploding in the past week I now have to get up earlier to deal with traffic, its insane, I feel like I’m in Houston or ATL all of a sudden…
- Work has been good and bad. With all of the relocated people here we will have a lot of new business; in turn I have worked everyday since last Tuesday and some days 10, 11, and 12 hours. I generally like my job but I’ve been here too much…
- I’m still trying to get by the gym when I can and I’ve managed to play tennis a few times the past week, but I seem to wake up always feeling tired and moopish…
- My most recent romantic adventure has ended, it was a very amicable split, but it leaves me wondering if I’m capable of dating any women for more than a few weeks…
- The main way I know things are different is that I’m not into football season yet. I live for this time of year (see here), but I just can’t get into it so far. It doesn’t help that LSU has not played yet and doesn’t have a home game until maybe September 24th (well technically this weekend is a home game, just 1400 miles from campus) . On top of that I can’t even tell you who made the Saints final roster. Maybe it just takes time, I’m sure I’ll get back on the boat soon…
- And last, I’m making it ok, God is good, I have a great life and some awesome friends – you know who you are

No comments: