Monday, October 10, 2005

I Still Believe

I’m back to writing about football for a quick minute. I took a few weeks off, had some other things to focus on like actually doing work at work. But I’m back to goofing off, here are my thoughts on my favorite NFL team, the sort of New Orleans Saints. One clarification here, these were my thoughts up to 2 pm today.

The Saints remind me of this cat that I used to run track with in high school. He was very talented, easily one of the most talented guys on the team. But you never knew what he was going to do, would he come to practice? Would he run hard? Would he show up for the meets? Would he run hard thru the exchange zones on relays? He ran some very good times, but he also dogged it just as much. When he was on he looked great (in a totally heterosexual way) flying around the track. But when he didn’t feel like running it was bad. That is my New Orleans Saints this year. When they are playing well they look great, so good your start to think, “Man, if this team can keep it together they’ll cause some damage and if they make the playoffs, watch out.” A good example of this is the last 4 games of last year, and game one of this season against the Panthers. But when they are bad….. you get 52-3 Green Bay or Peyton Manning throwing 6 TD’s against them in the dome. My prediction for Saints next 11 games, of those 11, 8 will be “who knows” games. Either the Saints will come out and dominate, or they will get blown out. I think they will go 4 and 4 in those games. The other 3 will be the key games. These will actually be regular games where the Saints play ok and the game is decided in the 4th quarter. If the Saints can win 2 of those 3, they end up at 9-7 and probably make the playoffs in NFC.

Now…. I just found out running back Deuce McAllister is out for the year with a torn ACL (Link). My initial reaction, 3-13, season over. But after thinking about it for a few minutes, I changed my mind. I still have faith in the Saints, but only if they do the following …….. go to the Run & Shoot the rest of the season. I mean the old school, Jerry Glanville, Run & Shoot I learned from Tecmo Super Bowl. All the Saints need to do is get Aaron Brooks to channel Warren Moon for a season. Maybe they could find the same witch doctor that put that three year spell on Kurt Warner when he was lighting up the league with the Rams a few years ago (or maybe just trade for a 28 year old Marshall Faulk). Screw the defense, they won’t stop anyone, let’s just try to outscore everyone else. The key is Joe Horn, if he can stay healthy it could work. Just my idea. But if it doesn’t work, I already gave the Saints a pass for this year. Too much going on, I have no real expectations. I gotta get back to work, Brandon I may expound on this later. Also good to see LSU play some defense again this weekend.

1 comment:

The Underdog said...

Man oh man oh man. I would say the Saints are pretty much done since Duece got hurt for the year. But then I think, he wasn't doing anything this year anyway. He hasn't gone off like past years. And now with the ACL he won't be "back" for at least 2 years. Back into form. So why not just run and gun. I agree with the Old School Tecmo Warren Moon where you drop back in the shotgun, run back about 30-40 yards and let it fly. Why not run the run and shoot. Why not just throw caution to the wind and do some goofy shit. I think the team will blow up in the Matt Leinhart sweepstakes. I don't know about our boys in Black and Gold. They could quit, die, roll over, be left for dead. Or they could pick themselves up and try to be professionals. I fear the former, hope for the latter. It is what it is. No expectations. No regrets. Just have some fun.